As a foreword, the below paragraph isn't actually the good news part of today's post.
Well, looks like my plans to continue with my mouthbrooding Betta rutilans sp. green have been dashed. I thought I had at least one female in there, but now I am not so certain. This species seems to be rather hard to sex correctly at the best of times, and it doesn't help that I have someone in there biting off ventral fins.
In more exciting news, there are going to be a LOT of changes happening in the next couple of months.
Perhaps the biggest change is that I have decided to stick with wild bettas after some careful consideration, which basically involved me lying awake in the dark watches of the night thinking about my fish. However, I am going to be implementing some changes as to how I keep, breed and maintain these species.
I want to take a much more natural approach to water changes and spawning, and want to be as 'hands-off' as possible. I think I got a little too gung-ho in the past and so from now on I want to try and make everything as low-maintenance and low-key as possible.
I am most likely going to be looking for a job during this time, so my fish are going to have to find a way to slot into my life without requiring hours of maintenance every day.
I will be chronicling my journey here with lots of photos and witty (hah!) commentary, so lurkers should look forward to lots of posts over the next few weeks.
Hailing from Melbourne, Australia, I currently keep and breed a number of species from the coccina complex.