I decided Monday morning was a good time to change over the substrate in three of my tanks. Of course like everything in this hobby, it was a lot messier than I thought it would be, but eventually IT WAS DONE!!
I was pretty happy with the results, and the fish seem to approve of my choice in substrate (ADA Malaya).
I will be monitoring the ammonia levels closely in each tank over the next couple of weeks, just to ensure I don't get any spikes.
Otherwise, the only tank that needs its substrate replaced now, is the one that houses my group of Betta rutilans.
I decided not to change any of the tanks that were done with African. The difference in colour isn't too noticeable once you have a lot of tannins in the water, and I think it would be more effort than it is worth.
Hailing from Melbourne, Australia, I currently keep and breed a number of species from the coccina complex.