Since I have been a bit slack with my postings of late, I thought I would just do a brief update of what's been happening around here.
Firstly, I have had to separate my pair of Betta brownorum after the female attacked the male and nearly killed him for the second time in recent weeks. This was after I accidentally got her head stuck in my siphon while I was cleaning their tank. You can see the damage done in the photo below. Fortunately, it was not more serious.
I have spawns from both my Betta hendra and Betta sp. apiapi pairs, and I also got eggs from a spawning between a pair in my Betta persephone tank. However, as expected these didn't last more than a couple of hours.
Speaking of my Betta persephone, I have decided to transition their tank back to its original set-up of peat moss (will be going over the existing aqua soil), IALs and wood. I just feel they showed better colouration, and were much more active in their previous setting. Of late, I have found it difficult to even find them half the time, let alone take any proper pictures.
Photos of the big transformation should be up before Christmas.
Currently I am experiencing an outbreak of velvet in my Betta sp. cf. rutilans green. This is on top of the infection in my Betta unimaculata tank. At the moment both of these groups are receiving treatment, and the plan is to continue this treatment for the next 4-6 weeks so that these fish have the best chance at recovery.
However, in more exciting news, I am awaiting the arrival of a new pair. I am hoping they are on this next shipment into Oz, and have my fingers crossed everything goes well. I won't post any specifics until I know more myself.
There are several posts that I have been working on, so expect to see these posted over the next few days.
Hailing from Melbourne, Australia, I currently keep and breed a number of species from the coccina complex.